MINISTER OF FINANCE: Hon. Gregory Bowen
PERMANENT SECRETARY: Mr. Mike Sylvester
DEPUTY PERMANENT SECRETARY: Mrs. Isha Abraham
To effectively plan, generate, allocate and account for resources through the implementation of fiscal and economic policies and the facilitation of social and environmental policies in co-operation with other agencies thereby providing and enabling sustainable growth and development.
ROLE BY DEPARTMENT
The main objective of this unit is to provide efficient and effective administrative support for the programmes of the Ministry. Key functions are to:
- Ensure that all incoming mail and Cabinet Conclusions are brought to the attention of the Permanent Secretary on a daily basis.
- Assist the Permanent Secretary in the implementation of all Cabinet directives and policy decisions.
- Ensure timely routing of all correspondence to addresses.
- Collaborate with all other Departments and Ministries on administrative matters.
- Provide Office Attendant/Chauffeur, photocopying and delivery service to all Divisions.
- Hold management team meetings.
- Ensure that the physical plant, equipment and sundry related items are in good condition (including vehicles)
- Facilitate the timely sale of vehicles no longer required for use by Government Ministries.
- Give support to departments and other Ministries in the procurement of computing services.
The main objective of this unit is to maximize benefits to the Ministry from Performance Management and Human Resource Development. Key functions are to:
- Ensure the personnel function is properly supervised.
- Process appointments, promotions and applications for transfers, leaves and the like.
- Match staff with budgeted post and salary scale.
- Liaise with the Public Service Commission, the department of Human Resources and other Divisions on personnel matters.
- Co-ordinate the Performance Appraisal process.
- To coordinate training for employees in collaboration with the Department of Human Resources and advise heads of divisions on available training courses.
Records Management (Registry)
The main objective of this unit is to provide services for the receipt, record, distribution and storage of written communications coming and leaving the Ministry. Key functions are to:
- Open and accurately record all incoming correspondence as well as outgoing mail.
- Pass incoming mail to the Permanent Secretary and other designated Officers.
- Accurately classify and docket correspondence.
- Ensure timely routing of all correspondences to respective officers daily.
Finance Management (Finance Unit)
The main objective of this unit is to provide accounting services for expenditure allocated to the Ministry. Key functions are to:
- Control and monitor the administration of the Ministry’s budget to ensure compliance with the Finance and Audit Act, the Appropriation Act and the Financial and Stores Rules.
- Ensure timely preparation and processing of invoices.
- Maintain internal accounts both recurrent and capital.
- Prepare imprest warrants, special warrants and transfers.
- Procurement and distribution of stores and supplies to maintain adequate stock levels.
Internal Audit Unit
The main objective of this unit is to safeguard government assets, review the financial and operational controls and conduct board of survey activities. Key functions are to:
- Ensure policies and practices are followed.
- Ensure data on purchasing Journals and Payables on SIGFIS is accurate.
- Review the financial and operational controls existing within the Ministry.
- Review the settlement of all claims within 45 days of approval.
- Conduct Board of Survey activities on all Ministries/Departments.
- Provide assistance to any department in carrying out their statutory duties as Accounting Officers.
- Work along with the audit department and cohere activities.
- Report to the Permanent Secretary on a monthly basis
- Provide technical support to the Permanent Secretary when requested.
- Establish proper Audit procedures and practices to ensure that Internal Audit provides a service which is adequate and effective and which is suitably quality assured.
The key functions of this unit are to:
- Coordinate all public awareness and educational activities of the Ministry.
- Prepare and circulate press releases and other information for the media.
- Manage the Ministry’s television programme “Finance Matters”.
- Manage the publication and distribution of the Ministry’s newsletter “Inside Finance”.
- Distribute all relevant information for public knowledge.
Office of Private Sector Development
- Coordinate key private sector reforms;
- Facilitate a dynamic partnership between Government, the Private Sector and Civil Society;
- Improve the Business Climate (Investment Code, Small Business Policy); &
- Give Policy Direction to Investment Initiatives, including new Areas of Investment
- To ensure proper utilization of resources to improve efficiency
- To monitor the price, quality and availability of basic food items
- To provide quarterly and annual economic and social indicators for use in economic and social analysis
- To develop harmonized statistics to effectively monitor and evaluate the Caribbean Single Market and Economy
- Granting of licenses for certain imported items
- To inspect all producer and Service Co-operative Societies to effect legislative compliance and adherence to industry benchmarks.
- To promote and effect sustainable socio-economic growth and development of the Productive Co-operatives Sector.
- To develop and execute training programmes for the Productive Co-operatives.